Sunday, May 1, 2011

Game Development as Hobby

I like to play games. Sometimes it is for the escapism, but it is often for the artistic and intellectual aspect. In a game, one is participating in art. This can take the form of amazing visual design, as in a Mirror's Edge, Borderlands, or Bioshock. It can also take the form of innovative gameplay, as in the amazing mutable world of Minecraft. Minecraft is amazing, not because of the game itself as a creative endeavour, but because of what it enables for the players. I go through phases of playing the game, but I actually spend more time browsing the amazing things that other people make and post on reddit.

What inspires me to want to create games is not that I can impose my vision on other people, but that one can use a game to create a shared world in which people can express their own creative visions. This blog is about my periodic spare-time explorations in creating such a game.

No comments:

Post a Comment